Guitar Basics: The 2017 Definitive Guide on How to Play Guitar [Video]

Guitar Lesson Page

A series of video lessons designed to teach you how to go from beginner to playing full songs on the guitar. I’ll break down the lessons into sections here. If a lesson doesn’t have a link yet, that means I haven’t recorded it, but I’ll plan to in the future.

Learning Chords:

Alternate Chord Voicings

Learning Rhythm:

Finger picking

Lead Guitar

Capos

Theory

167 Responses to Guitar Basics: The 2017 Definitive Guide on How to Play Guitar [Video]

1. Steven Jan 23, 2017 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks for the lessons, 60 yrs old & just started, amazing never thought I would ever play an instrument, great teacher, thank you.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 1:55 am #

Awesome – best of luck to you!

2. Dan Feb 2, 2017 at 9:10 am #

Hey Brian,
    When I am strumming 10-15 times(playing a song), my guitar pick slips.How to avoid this? Good luck.

3. Dan Feb 5, 2017 at 12:46 am #

Hello Brian,
    When I do strumming(down and up strumming),while with a good tune I hear the noise of the guitar pick like a saw cutting wood. 🙂 How to reduce this unwanted noise?Thank you.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:00 am #

Hi Dan – you may be strumming so the pick is in contact with the string too much (not sure, though) – otherwise a different thickness of pick might sound better to you.

4. Dan Feb 14, 2017 at 12:31 pm #

Hello Bryan,
    How to sing while playing the guitar?How do you do that?You know when I do that ,the strumming pattern and the chords,they get mess up.Good Luck!

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:08 am #

Hey Dan – that’s a good idea for a video (or series). The bottom line is it just takes practice.

5. Dan Feb 24, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

Hello Bryan,
    How many seconds do we have to change a chord ?For instance F#m chord to A takes a lot of time than G to C.. 😐 Thank you.

• Mike Latham Feb 24, 2017 at 11:04 pm #

Hi Dan,

For chord changes, the only real answer is practice. When i was wanting to practice my barre F, i selected a song which had a quick change from G to F to C. (Night Moves by Bob Seger) I would keep practicing until i got it down. The way i play it is a down strum on the G, up then down on the F, then up and down on the C and continue with the C until it’s time to reverse the pattern… that’s 1/2 a beat! pretty quick. Now I can pretty much hit the F any time… also it’s an easy adjustment from F to F#m. Good luck and keep practicing. 🙂

• Dan Mar 3, 2017 at 11:56 am #

Thanks Mike! 🙂

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:16 am #

Hi Dan – it totally depends on the song.

6. rullen fiore Feb 27, 2017 at 7:41 am #

I have followed you up-to your fourth lesson (basics) and I feel satisfied with your way of teaching. I am having problem in playing G chord and I want some tips for upstreaming,I it difficult as well.Thanks.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 am #

Hi Rullen – thank you. Just keep practicing and it will get easier and easier.

7. Eric Foulds Feb 27, 2017 at 3:27 pm #

Thanks for your tutorial on how to play your first cord. You were very thorough on explaining all basics. I am 65 and just learning my first instrument.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:21 am #

Thanks Eric – good luck to you!

8. Dan Mar 5, 2017 at 10:22 am #

Hello ,
    What’s the suitable pick size for strumming? 🙂 Good Luck.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:23 am #

I like picks around .7 to 1mm thick.

9. Chris Mar 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

Hey brian, this site has been an amazing help. I wish you would do Open Eyes Of My Heart Lord. It’s a classic song i’d love to learn.

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:34 am #

Thanks Chris! That one is old school – it would be fun to do some tutorials on older songs like that.

10. Dan Mar 12, 2017 at 2:14 pm #

Hello Bryan,

1.I started to learn barre chords ,I can ring only high & low E,A,and D…I followed your bar finger technique…How long does it take to push all the strings??
    2.Are there any barre chords friendly acoustic guitars ?
    3.Are barre chords for big hands??

• Brian Mar 15, 2017 at 2:35 am #

Hi Dan – it just takes time and practice. You can do barre chords with smaller hands if your hands aren’t large. Just keep at it and it will get easier and easier.

11. Dan Mar 17, 2017 at 3:53 am #

Hello Bryan,
    When we do strumming ,do we have to hit hard on the strings?

12. Dan Mar 17, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Bryan,

I have seen some guitar fret boards are wide and some are really small …I mean the guitar nut …Why is that? Are guitars with bigger nuts easy to place our fingers? Now I can play 5,6 songs..Thank you Bryan.Next hurdle is barre chords.

13. Dan Mar 18, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

Hello Bryan,
    This is a strange question…..When I play chords for instance D major chord.I cannot place the fingers at once..So I place my finger 1 and 3 first.Then finger 2…For that I take 2 seconds …Is it okay?