1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CABS: This download contains both stock and IR cab versions. We think they both sound great, but if you’d like to use the specific IR we used, it’s from the ATyp 2×12 IR Set from Live Ready Sound (link below). Here is the specific IR:
LRS M2 ATyp SM7b 02 (from the A Type 2×12 pack found here. In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 49.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- LA Studio Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘TIMMY’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- KWB Drive – not mapped to a switch. This is an alternate overdrive that you can use how you’d like. We dialed it in to it sound great with this patch.
- Amps – AC30 Fawn Nrm
- Cab/IR – 4×12 Cali V30 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Mod/Chorus Echo – 8TH note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8 DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Big Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Multitap 4 Delay – big ambient delay mapped to button labeled “SWELLS’
- Glitz Verb – big ambient verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Plateaux Verb – Shimmer Verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Cali Graphic EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Looper (6 switch) – mapped to button labeled ‘Looper’. If you prefer the 1-button looper, feel free to substitute it – just make sure to use the stereo version.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the cab block runs in stereo. The delays are mono, but they are panned using the mixer block. All the verbs and effects after the delays are stereo effects. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
AMP GAIN BUTTON:
The ‘AMP GAIN’ button adjusts the level of gain on the amp (from 6.0 to 9.0). This gives you a true amp overdrive tone without the use of dirt pedals. If the base patch is too dirty for your preference, adjust the ‘Min Drive’ and ‘Max Drive’ settings on this button to suite your needs. The ‘Min Drive’ settings is when the button is off, and the ‘Max Drive’ setting is when the button is on.
Feel free to stack drive pedals (and the AMP GAIN button) for bigger sounds.
The dotted 8th delay is in parallel with both the quarter and eight delays, so they’ll be more rhythmic when used together. They are also set to output in stereo when the Helix is used in stereo (using both outputs). If you only use the Left/Mono output, the entire patch will be summed to Mono.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Cosmos echo with big ambient reverb and shimmer.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: LEAD: Big drive with delay and lots of verb. This is a typical P&W style drive.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: THE EDGE – Dotted 8th and quarter note delay. Set your BPM to between 90 and 100 and play the U2 classics.
- Snapshot 7:ROCK – Overdrive without a ton of wet effects. Sometimes you need some dad-rock in your life.
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If you have higher output humbuckers, you might want to turn down the gain on the amp(s), or, alternatively, turn down the output on the first compressor – this will hit the amp(s) with less signal.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- Min Gain value (on the AMP GAIN switch): change to 5.3
- Max Gain value (on the AMP GAIN switch): change to 8.0
- Treble: Change to 8.9
- Presence: Change to 7.4
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +3.3
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +2.9