This demo is for version 1.0. The updated version offers better tone and more flexibility.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CABS: This download contains both stock and IR cab versions. We think they both sound great, but if you’d like to use the specific IR we used, it’s from the ATyp 2×12 IR Set from Live Ready Sound (link below). Here is the specific IR:
- LRS M2 ATyp SM7b Comp 01. In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 43.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Tremolo – not mapped to a switch (used in snapshots)
- Minotaur – Klon OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Klon’
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Amps – Matchstick CH1 & Essex A30
- Cab/IR – 4×12 Cali V30 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dotted 8th DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Quarter DLY’
- Mod/Chorus Echo – 8TH note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘8th DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Short Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Multitap 4 Delay – big ambient delay mapped to button labeled “SWELLS’
- Glitz Verb – big ambient verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Plateaux Verb – Shimmer Verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Cali Q Graphic EQ – Always on EQ
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the cab block runs in stereo. The delays are mono, but they are panned using the mixer block. All the verbs and effects after the delays are stereo effects. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds.
The dotted 8th delay is in parallel with both the quarter delays, so they’ll be more rhythmic when used together. They are also set to output in stereo when the Helix is used in stereo (using both outputs). If you only use the Left/Mono output, the entire patch will be summed to Mono.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Cosmos echo with big ambient reverb and shimmer.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: LEAD: Big drive with dotted 8th delay.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: CLEAN TREM – Tremolo and big verb.
- Snapshot 7:AMBI LEAD – big drive, delay, and verb.
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
MATCHSTICK CH1 AMP SETTINGS:
- Drive: Change to 2.6
- Bass: Change to 3.3
- Treble: Change to 6.1
- Presence: Change to 4.0
ESSEX A30 SETTINGS
- Drive: Change to 2.8
- Bass: Change to 3.1
- Treble: Change to 6.5
- Presence: Change to 5.8
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 80 Hz Slider: Change to -1.2
- 240 Hz Slider: Change to +0.0
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +2.0
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +1.5
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 1.0 (initial release): 2018-09-01
Version 1.1: 2019-02-01
- Added: Stereo effects after the amps – the patch now will run in stereo (reverbs and delays)
- Added: End of chain EQ – improved tone and flexibility to adjust for different guitars (end of chain compressor removed)
- Added: Suggested settings for guitars with humbuckers
- Changed: Overdrive pedal options (improved drive tones)
- Changed: Amp settings (improved tone)