Demo coming soon!
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CABS: This download contains both stock and IR cab versions. We think they both sound great, but if you’d like to use the specific IR we used, it’s from the ATyp 2×12 IR Set from Live Ready Sound (link below). Here is the specific IR: LRS M2 ATyp SM7b 02 (from the A Type 2×12 pack found here). In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 49.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Tremolo – not mapped to a switch (used in snapshots)
- Kinky Boost – EP Booster – mapped to switch labeled ‘EP Booster’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Minotaur – Klon OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Klon’
- Amps – Matchstick CH1 & Essex A30
- Cab/IR – 4×12 Cali V30 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dotted 8th DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Quarter DLY’
- Mod/Chorus Echo – 8TH note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘8th DLY’
- Room verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Short Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Cosmos Echo – big ambient delay mapped to button labeled “SWELLS’
- Searchlights Verb – big ambient verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Plateaux Verb – Shimmer Verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- LA Studio Comp – Always on compressor – acts like studio compression
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode).
DRIVE TONES – DIRT PEDALS:
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. The Klon acts as more of a boost than a drive.
The dotted 8th delay is in parallel with both the quarter and eight delays, so they’ll be more rhythmic when used together.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Cosmos echo with big ambient reverb.
We put a 2nd compressor (LA Studio Comp) at the end of the chain. This replicates what many recording engineers will do by adding a light level of compression to the final guitar signal. It will even out your tone when switching to higher gain sounds, and just fattens everything up.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: LEAD: Big drive with dotted 8th delay.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: CLEAN TREM – Tremolo and big verb.
- Snapshot 7:AMBI LEAD – big drive, delay, and verb.
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
GUITARS (and making changes for YOUR guitar):
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers. If you have higher output humbuckers, you might want to turn down the gain on the amp(s), or, alternatively, turn down the output on the first compressor – this will hit the amp(s) with less signal.