This video is a demo of the original version of this patch. The updated version sounds significantly better. We’ll have a new demo up soon! The notes below describe what you get in the updated version.
A PAIR OF CLASSIC AMPLIFIERS ALONG WITH TONS OF EFFECTS DESIGNED TO EMULATE TONES HEARD IN MODERN PRAISE AND WORSHIP
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the specific IR included, and its location in our Helix:
TJ 07 M75 7B . In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 7 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Tremolo – not mapped to a switch, used in snapshots
- Minotaur – Klon OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Klon’
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Amps – AC Fawn NRM, US Deluxe NRM
- Cab/IR – 4×12 Cali V30 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Big Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Multitap 4 Delay – big ambient delay mapped to button labeled “SWELLS’
- Glitz Verb – big ambient verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Plateaux Verb – Shimmer Verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Cali Graphic EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Looper (6 switch) – mapped to button labeled ‘Looper’. If you prefer the 1-button looper, feel free to substitute it – just make sure to use the stereo version.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the cab block runs in stereo. The delays are mono, but they are panned using the mixer block. All the verbs and effects after the delays are stereo effects. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds.
The dotted 8th delay is in parallel with both the quarter note delay, so they’ll be more rhythmic when used together. They are also set to output in stereo when the Helix is used in stereo (using both outputs). If you only use the Left/Mono output, the entire patch will be summed to Mono.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Cosmos echo with big ambient reverb and shimmer.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: P&W LEAD: Big drive with delay and big verb.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN TREM – Tremolo and verb. Delicious
- Snapshot 6: THE EDGE – Dotted 8th and quarter delay.
- Snapshot 7: DIRTY TREM – Same as ‘Drive +’ but with tremolo
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If you have higher output humbuckers, see the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- AC30 Drive: Change to 4.8 // DLX Drive: Change to 4.7
- AC30 Treble: Change to 8.2
- DLX Presence: Change to 6.1
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +3.0
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +1.5
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
CURRENT VERSION: 3.0 (released 2019-04-26)
Version 1.0: Initial Release: 5/04/2017
Version 1.1: Updated 2/12/2017
- Changed: added new OwnHammer cabs to the IR version of the patch
Version 1.2: Updated 7/2/2017
- Added: HX reverbs that released with Helix firmware 2.5
Version 1.3: Updated 7/6/2017
- Fixed: reverb levels to compensate for Helix firmware 2.6
- Added: ‘Unity gain’ version of the patch (meant to be used with the big volume knob at 100%)
Version 2.0: Updated Oct 22, 2018
- Updated: Amp settings (better tone)
- Updated: Drive section (better tone and stacking)
- Added: Improved swells/ambient section
- Added: Stereo – everything after the amp/cab block runs in stereo
- Added: End of chain EQ – improved tone and tweaking for different guitars
- Added: ‘IR’ version of the patch voiced for Live Ready Sound IR’s
- Added: Recommended settings for humbucker and single coil equipped guitars (via the ReadMe notes)
Version 3.0: Updated April 26, 2019
- Added: Tone Junkie IR cab (included with the patch)
- Updated: Amp and drive pedal settings (better tone)
Updates are free and delivered via email. If you have an older version of this patch and have not received updates via email, please send us a support email and we’ll get the updated patch files to you.