Guitars used in this demo:
- MJT Thinline Telecaster (VTS) with Porter Pickups Vintage Tele pickups
- Shelton Electric Instruments SkyFlite IV
NOTE: This patch has been updated significantly since this demo. Scroll down to see the improvements we’ve made.
DUAL AMP HELIX PATCH USING THE FENDER DELUXE AND MARSHALL JMT 45 AMP MODELS.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit. You will need at least firmware 2.8.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the specific IR included, and its location in our Helix:
- TJ 27 MATCH 25 7B. In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 27 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Tremolo – not mapped (used in snapshots)
- Heir Apparent – King of Tone OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT YELLOW’
- Teemah! – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Stupor OD – BOSS SD-1 OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘SD-1’
- Amps – US Deluxe NRM and Brit J45 Brt
- Mod/Chorus Echo – 1/4 Note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Cab/IR’ – 2×12 Match G25 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dotted 8th DLY’
- Dual Delay – 1/8th and dotted 8th delay in stereo – Mapped to switch labeled ‘DUAL ST DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Big Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Multitap 4 Delay – big ambient delay mapped to button labeled “SWELLS’
- Searchlights Verb – big ambient verb – mapped to button labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Cali Q Graphic – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Gain – 1.5 dB of clean boost – not mapped (using in Snapshots for lead)
- Looper (6 switch) – not mapped to a switch.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the cab block runs in stereo. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds.
The dotted 8th delay is in series with quarter note delay, so they will smear together for a more ambient sound. The dual stereo delay will be more rhythmic.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the multitap delay with big ambient reverb.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: P&W LEAD: Big drive with big delay and verb.
- Snapshot 5: AMBI CLEAN – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: CLEAN TREM – Tremolo and verb. Delicious.
- Snapshot 7: DRY SWELLS – These swells are a little more subtle and are driven by delay rather than delay and verb.
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
US DELUXE AMP SETTINGS:
- Drive: Change to 4.6
- Bass: Change to 3.8
- Treble: Change to 8.5
- Presence: Change to 5.5
J45 AMP SETTINGS
- Drive: Change to 4.5
- Bass: Change to 3.5
- Treble: Change to 8.5
- Presence: Change to 5.8
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +3.0
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +2.0
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 3.0: Updated 2019-10-11
- Changed: Drive section and settings (includes new King of Tone OD from FW 2.80)
- Changed: Amp settings (better tone)
- Changed: Delays and settings: better tone and stereo spread
- Changed: End of chain EQ (better tone)
- Added: Tone Junkie IR Cab (free)
Version 2.0: Updated November 20, 2018
- Tweaked: Amp settings (better tone)
- Tweaked: Improved drive section settings
- Tweaked: Improved reverb and delay settings
- Added: IR Cab version (using Live Ready Sound IR’s)
- Added: Improved swells/ambient section
- Added: Better stereo imaging for effects
- Added: End of chain EQ – improved tone and tweaking for different guitars
- Added: Recommended settings for humbucker and single coil equipped guitars (via the ReadMe notes)
Version 1.1: Updated 07/06/2018
- Fixed: Reverb levels to compensate for Firmware 2.6
- Fixed: Overall volume levels to accomodate for ‘Unity Gain’ (turning the big volume knob all the way up)
Version 1.0: Initial Release: 05/11/18
Updates are free and delivered via email. If you have an older version of this patch and have not received updates via email, please send us a support email and we’ll get the updated patch files to you.