NOTE: This demo was made with version 1.0 of this patch. Scroll down to see the updates we’ve made.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit. You will need at least firmware 2.8.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here are the specific IR’s included, and their locations in our Helix:
- TJ 21 MATCH 25 R121+57 (top row) . In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 21 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
- TJ 33 MATCH 30 R121+7b (bottom row). In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 33 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
This patch is designed to be used in Snapshot mode. To enable this mode in your Helix, go to the ‘Footswitches’ section of the Global Settings and select ‘8 Snapshots’ in the ‘Preset Mode Switches’ menu. Here are the snapshots:
- SNAPSHOT 1: INTRO. This is the main tone for the intro before the band kicks in.
- SNAPSHOT 2: INTRO BIG. This is for when the band comes in during the intro.
- SNAPSHOT 3: VERSE.
- SNAPSHOT 4: CH/TURN. This is the main chorus and turnaround tone.
- SNAPSHOT 5: BRIDGE. This is the cool bridge riff.
- SNAPSHOTS 6: Not used.
- SNAPSHOT 7: CLEAN AMBI. This is a sound that is not in the song itself but is useful to have in a live worship environment.
- SNAPSHOT 8: SWELLS. This is a sound that is not in the song itself but is useful to have in a live worship environment.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Yellow side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Yellow’
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Red side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Red’
- Dhyna Drive – Hermida Zen Drive – mapped to switch labeled ‘Zen’
- Tremolo – mapped to switch labeled ‘Tremolo’
- Volume – mapped to EXP 2
- Amp – Matchstick Jump
- Cabs/IR’s – see above for IR info
- Simple Delay – 1/4 note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Mod/Chorus Echo – Dotted 8th delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – 1/4 and dotted 8th delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dual DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Short Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Long Verb”
- Multitap 4 Delay – Big washy delay mapped to switch labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘SWELLS’
- Simple EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- CH 1Drive: Change to 0.9
- Bass: Change to 2.5
- Treble: Change to 8.5
- Presence: Change to 7.7
- Cut: Change to 3.0
SIMPLE EQ SETTINGS:
- Mid Gain: Change to +3.0
- High Gain: Change to +3.5
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 2.0: 2019-08-23
- Added: Tone Junkie IR cabs (included for free)
- Changed: Amp model to Matchless Jumped
- Changed: Drive blocks and settings (includes new drives from FW 2.80)
- Changed: End of Chain EQ and suggested humbucker settings
Version 1.0: 2018-10-05