NOTE: This demo was made with version 2.0 of this patch. Scroll down to see the significant upgrades we’ve made to it.
Get the sounds from the Passion Live version of ‘Glorious Day’
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit. You will need at least firmware 2.80.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here are the specific IR’s included, and its location in our Helix:
- TJ 21 MATCH 25 R121+57 (top row) . In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 21 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
- TJ 33 MATCH 30 R121+7b (bottom row). In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 33 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Yellow side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Yellow’
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Red side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Red’
- Dhyna Drive – Hermida Zen Drive – mapped to switch labeled ‘Zen’
- Volume – mapped to EXP 2
- Amp – Matchstick Jump
- Cabs/IR’s – see above for IR info
- Adriatic Delay – 1/4 Note – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – dotted 8th delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘.8th DLY’
- Plate Verb – subtle reverb – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Plate Verb’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Dual Delay (1/8d + quarter) – mapped to switch labeled ‘DUAL DLY’
- Ganymede Verb – Ambient reverb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Ganymede’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “SWELLS Verb”
- Simple EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Gain – This gives you a 2dB pure volume boost (used for the Hook snapshot) – mapped to switch labeled ‘2db Boost’.
You can use this patch in stomp box mode, but it’s meant to be used in Snapshot Mode to replicate the song sections from Glorious Day.
The cabs, delays, reverbs, and EQ are in stereo. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: VERSE: Drive and reverb. Use this for both verses.
- Snapshot 2: CH/HOOK: This is the main chorus tone with the big hook of the song. Use it for the turn-arounds and solo section, too.
- Snapshot 3: TURNAROUND: Use this before the bridge.
- Snapshot 4: BRIDGE: This is for the bigger section of the bridge (the drum hits)
- Snapshot 5: PUSH CLEAN: This is a basic pushed rhythm tone
- Snapshot 6: CLEAN: Basic clean tone
- Snapshot 7: AMBI CLEAN: Basic ambient clean tone
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – There aren’t sells in this song, but they’re always nice to have available 🙂
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- CH 1Drive: Change to 0.9
- Bass: Change to 2.5
- Treble: Change to 8.5
- Presence: Change to 7.7
- Cut: Change to 3.0
SIMPLE EQ SETTINGS:
- Mid Gain: Change to +3.0
- High Gain: Change to +3.5
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.