This demo is for the Linc Brew Helix patch. The HX Stomp patch contains the same base elements – see below for exactly what is included in the HX Stomp version. Brad is playing a Suhr Classic S.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit. You will need at least firmware 2.8.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the specific IR included, and its location in our Helix:
- TJ 23 MATCH 25 R121+7B (bottom row). In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 23 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
We’ve included multiple patches with this download to allow you to pick and choose which effects you’d like in your HX Stomp. In the ‘Patch Files’ folder, you’ll see four different patches:
- ‘LincBrew WT IR’ – this is the main patch using the IR (the IR is included)
- ‘LincBrew WT’ – this is the main patch using a stock Line 6 cab
- ‘LincBrew FX 1’ – this patch includes effects from our Helix patch that aren’t in the main patch
- ‘LincBrew FX 2’ – this patch includes the rest of the effects from our Helix patch that aren’t in the main patch
The main patches include the core tone components from the main Helix patch – typically this is a compressor, amp block(s), cab block(s), and an EQ block, plus a few extra effects as room allows. The ‘FX’ patches allow you to copy and paste effects and their settings from our main Helix patch in to suit your needs. Feel free to mix and match to create the patch that works best for you.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
LINC BREW WT PATCH
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Hier Apparent – mapped to button labeled ‘KOT-YELLOW’
- Amp: Brit Plexi Brt
- Analog w/Mod Delay – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- Cali Q Graphic – EQ
LINC BREW FX 1 PATCH
- Vetta Wah – mapped to EXP 1 (EXP Toe tunes it on/off)
- Minotaur – mapped to switch labeled ‘Klon’
- 808 – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Super OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘SD-1’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Dual Delay – 1/8d and 1/4 delays in stereo – mapped to switch labeled ‘Stereo DLY’
LINC BREW FX 2 PATCH
- ’63 Spring Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Spring Verb’
- Adriatic Delay – big ambient delay (used for ‘Swells’ snapshot)
- Glitz Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Big Verb’’
We built this patch assuming you will be integrating HX Stomp into an existing effects rig, using it to replace an amp with the option of additional effects. It includes the base tone components from the full Helix version of this patch.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- Drive: Change to 2.3
- Treble: Change to 6.4
- Presence: Change to 4.9
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +2
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +1.0
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 2.0: 2019-08-16
- Added: King of Tone drive model (replaced the JTM45 preamp)
- Added: Tone Junkie IR Cab (included for free)
- Changed: Amp settings (better tone)
- Added: All effects blocks from the Helix version of this patch
Version 1.0: 2018-12-15