In this demo I’m using a Shelton Electric Instruments GalaxyFlite Custom. The clean sounds are in the Bridge + Middle position (Porter Wide-Range Humbucker + Porter Vintage Mini-HB), and the driven sections are using the bridge only. This demo is using version 1.0 of this patch. Version 2.0 is a significant upgrade – see below for the changes we’ve made.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CABS: This download contains both stock and IR cab versions. We think they both sound great, but if you’d like to use the specific IR we used, it’s from the ATyp 2×12 IR Set from Live Ready Sound available here.
- Here is the IR we used: LRS M2 SM7b 02 PR20 ATyp Mix (slot 40 in our Helix)
This patch is designed to be used in Snapshot mode. To enable this mode in your Helix, go to the ‘Footswitches’ section of the Global Settings and select ‘8 Snapshots’ in the ‘Preset Mode Switches’ menu. Here are the snapshots:
- SNAPSHOT 1: INTRO/VS1. Clean tone with delay and verb.
- SNAPSHOT 2: CHORUS 1. Main chorus riff tone.
- SNAPSHOT 3: VERSE 2. Bit more drive than Snap 1.
- SNAPSHOT 4: LEAD. Lead tone for the solo.
- SNAPSHOT 5: BRIDGE. Drive, delay and verb.
- SNAPSHOT 6: BR/CH+. Big drive tone
- SNAPSHOT 7: Not used.
- SNAPSHOT 8: SWELLS: This tone isn’t technically in the song, but it’s nice to have avaialable.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Kinky Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Minotaur – Klon OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Klon’
- Compulsive Drive – OCD Distortion – mapped to switch labeled ‘OCD’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Amps: AC Fawn Nrm, Brit J45 Brt
- Vintage Digital – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Simple Delay – 1/8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8 DLY’
- Hall verb – ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Hall Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Big Verb (Mod)”
- Multitap 4 Delay – Big ambient delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Ambient/Swells’
- Glitz Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Swells’
- Cali Q Graphic – always on EQ – not mapped to a switch
This patch is meant to be used in snapshot mode, but can be used in stomp box mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the cab block runs in stereo. The delays are mono, but they are panned using the mixer block. All the verbs and effects after the delays are stereo effects. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. All three one at once will give you a lead/solo tone.
The dotted 8th delay is in parallel with the quarter delay and 1/8th delay, so they’ll be more rhythmic when used together.
Big ambient swells with tons of delay and reverb.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If you have higher output humbuckers, you might want to make adjustments based on the suggestions below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- AC30 Fawn Gain: Change to 6.0
- AC30 Fawn Treble: Change to 8.4
- AC30 Fawn Presence: Change to 6.4
- J45 Treble: Change to 9.6
CALI Q GRAPHIC SETTINGS:
- 2200 Hz Slider: Change to 3.0
- 6600 Hz Slider: Change to 1.9
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Initial Release: 2017-10-16
Version 2.0: 2019-02-28
This is a complete overhaul of this patch
- Added: New HX Reverbs from firmware 2.5
- Added: End of chain EQ
- Added: Suggested settings for single coils and humbuckers (via the ReadMe file)
- Added: Stereo (wet effects are all in stereo)
- Added: Swells blocks settings
- Changed: Amps and amp settings – better tone (amps layout from our Bethel artist series patch)
- Changed: Drive block settings
- Changed: Output level has been adjusted – we suggest running your Helix with the big volume knob at 100% (unity gain)
- Changed: IR cab suggestion – using an IR from the same IR pack as the rest of our updated patches