In this tutorial, I’m teaching how to play the song using key of G chords, but with a capo on the 2nd fret. This puts the song in the key of A. On the album, the song is in Bb, so if you’d like to play along with the album, put your capo on the 3rd fret and use key of G chords.
For most of the first half of the song, you’ll want to make sure not to strum too much. Maybe just whole notes or even one strum per chord. If you have a keys player, you’ll especially want to get out of their way in the beginning.
Once the song picks up, you can use a couple patterns:
1 2 3 4 , etc... d d d dud d d du,...
1 2 3 4 , etc... d udud udud du,...
Do It Again – Elevation Worship – Line 6 Helix Patch
Guitar tones from Do It Again by Elevation Worship from the There Is A Cloud album. Includes snapshots for the different sections of the song. Also includes two premium IR Cabs by Tone Junkie for free.
In this demo I’m using a Shelton Electric Instruments GalaxyFlite Custom. This is demonstrating version 1.0 of this patch – we’ve made significant upgrades for version 3.0. See the changelog below.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit. You will need at least firmware 2.8.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the specific IR included, and its location in our Helix:
- TJ 21 MATCH 25 R121+57 (top row) . In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 21 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
- TJ 33 MATCH 30 R121+7b (bottom row). In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 33 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
This patch is designed to be used in Snapshot mode. To enable this mode in your Helix, go to the ‘Footswitches’ section of the Global Settings and select ‘8 Snapshots’ in the ‘Preset Mode Switches’ menu. Here are the snapshots:
- SNAPSHOT 1: INTRO/VS. This is technically a piano part in the recording, but this is a clean tone you can use to mimic those parts.
- SNAPSHOT 2: CH/CLEAN. Clean tone with delay and verb.
- SNAPSHOT 3: CHORUS 2. Same as CH1 but with a bit more drive.
- SNAPSHOT 45: INST/BRIDGE. Where the rhythm guitars come in.
- SNAPSHOT 5: BRIDGE+. More drive. You can use this for bigger rhythm or for a lead part in the bridge.
- SNAPSHOTS 6 & 7: Not used.
- SNAPSHOT 8: SWELLS: This tone isn’t technically in the song, but it’s nice to have available.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Yellow side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Yellow’
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Red side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Red’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer – mapped to switch labeled ‘808
- Volume – mapped to EXP 2
- Amp – Matchstick Jump
- Cabs/IR’s – see above for IR info
- Mod/Chorus Echo – 1/4 Delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Adriatic Delay – 1/8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘’1/8 DLY’
- Tape Delay – dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d DLY’
- ’63 Spring verb – subtle reverb – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Spring Verb’
- Dual Delay (1/8d + 1/4th note) – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dual ST DLY’
- Glitz Verb – Ambient reverb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Glitz Verb’
- Glitz Verb – Bigger ambient reverb 🙂 – mapped to switch labeled “SWELLS”
- Simple EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
The cabs and everything after them are in stereo. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. We voiced the two Heir Apparent blocks to sound like Bradford’s King of Tone settings.
You can access ambient swells from the ‘Swells’ button in stomp mode or the Swells Snapshot. The Snapshot engages more delays.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Simple EQ block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Simple EQ block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- CH 1Drive: Change to 0.9
- Bass: Change to 2.5
- Cut: Change to 3.0
SIMPLE EQ SETTINGS:
- Low Gain: Change to -2.0 dB
- Mid Gain: Change to 1.8 dB
- High Gain: Change to 2.2 dB
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 3.0: 2019-10-18
- Changed: Drive section and settings (using new King of Tone drives from FW 2.80)
- Changed: Amp block and settings (using Match JMP)
- Changed: Delay and Reverb settings (better tone and stereo spread)
- Changed: End of chain EQ settings (better tone)
- Added: Tone Junkie IR Cabs (included for free)
Version 2.0: 2019-02-28
This is a complete overhaul of this patch
- Added: New HX Reverbs from firmware 2.5
- Added: End of chain EQ
- Added: Suggested settings for single coils and humbuckers (via the ReadMe file)
- Added: Stereo (wet effects are all in stereo)
- Added: Swells blocks settings
- Changed: Amp settings – better tone
- Changed: Drive block settings
- Changed: Output level has been adjusted – we suggest running your Helix with the big volume knob at 100% (unity gain)
- Changed: IR cab suggestion – using an IR from the same IR pack as the rest of our updated patches
Initial Release: 2017-11-09
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Do It Again – Chord Chart Kit – Elevation Worship arrangement
Chord Chart kits include both Nashville charts and lyric charts in various keys. Your download will be in the form of a .zip file. Extract the file and you will find two folders, ”Lyric Charts and Nashville Charts”.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.